Jul 24, 2024  
2021-2022 Undergraduate Catalog 
2021-2022 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Programs of Study

Major Options

Single Major

A department major typically consists of at least 30 credits with specified and elective courses determined by the department. A minimum grade of C- is normally required in all major courses. A student cannot pursue a minor and major in the same or related fields (ex: Philosophy major and Philosophy minor).  All majors require at least 120 total credits in order to earn the degree. Some majors require a minimum total credit count greater than 120 credits, as noted on each individual major curriculum page. Majors may be standalone, or can have required or optional concentrations.

Single Major with Concentration

Concentrations allow students to focus on a specific area within a major. Depending on the major, concentrations may be optional or required. Typically majors with concentrations have a common core of 15-18 credits, and 12-18 additional credits are needed to complete the concentration. Concentrations replace broad elective choices within the major with a focused set of upper-level courses.               

Double Major

This involves fulfilling the major requirements, including the college requirements of each major, of two Bachelor of Arts or two Bachelor of Science majors. The advantage of a double major is that the student is able to develop and demonstrate strength in each area covered in the undergraduate program. Admission to double major status requires the approval of both departments. The minimum grade necessary in all courses required for the double major is the same as that needed for a single major in that degree program. If a student is pursuing two fields of study for which the same degree is awarded, only one degree will be granted, but with a double major (e.g., Bachelor of Arts with majors in English and History). The degree for both majors must be conferred in the same graduation term. Students cannot pursue double majors in the same or related fields.

Interdepartmental Major

Interdepartmental majors are available in some programs of study. For a general description and requirements, see the College of Arts and Sciences  section of the catalog.

Double Degree Option

In some cases, a student is allowed to simultaneously pursue two baccalaureate degrees. The following regulation applies to a student seeking two concurrent degrees:

  • A student must fulfill all requirements for both degrees, including all college requirements should the programs of study be in more than one college. They may be awarded two degrees at the same time only if the degrees are different (e.g., Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Arts).


Designed for students interested in a particular field, minors  provide programs of study less intensive and comprehensive than a major but with greater coherence than a group of courses selected at random. Typically 15-21 specific credits are required for a minor, although some minors require additional credits. Prerequisite requirements for the minor courses must also be met. Students may not major and minor in the same field of study (ex: Philosophy major and Philosophy minor) nor may they major and minor in related fields of study (ex: Chemistry Education major and Chemistry minor). Students must obtain permission from the designated minor advisor before declaring a minor. Minors are open to all undergraduates.There is no University policy restricting students with less than a 2.0 from declaring a minor.


A certificate allows a student to explore an area of interest. A certificate program requires completion of a series of courses with a specific focus, typically 9-12 credits.  While a certificate enhances a degree, it does not result in a certification.

4+1 Program

A combined bachelor’s and master’s program, commonly referred to as 4+1 program,  allows a student to earn a bachelor’s degree and a master’s degree in five years. Both degrees can be earned in an accelerated format by fulfilling a limited number of undergraduate requirements with graduate coursework (typically 6-15 credits). Students apply to be admitted into a 4+1 program in their junior year. 4+1 students should consult with both their undergraduate and graduate advisors to carefully choose courses in order to complete the requirements of both degrees in five years. Typically, students complete the undergraduate requirements, including “shared” coursework, before taking courses for exclusively graduate requirements. Approved “shared” coursework applies to both undergraduate and graduate GPAs. 4+1 Students are classified as undergraduates for the first 8 regular semesters or until the undergraduate degree requirements are completed, whichever comes first. Upon successful completion of the undergraduate degree requirements, 4+1 students will have their bachelor’s degree conferred. Upon successful completion of the remaining graduate degree requirements, students will have their master’s degree conferred. A list of 4+1 programs offered by the University can be found in the Programs  tab.

Change Of Major, Concentration, or Minor Policy

Most students are admitted into a specific major. Once admitted, students may change majors during various times, provided they meet specific requirements and receive proper approvals. Between the time of admission and enrollment of classes, students should request approval from the Office of Admissions, who will process the request if appropriate. The Admissions office will notify the academic assistant dean of the new program to ensure proper scheduling of courses. There is no minimum GPA required to change into an unrestricted major at the University. However, departments may have policies to restrict admission into programs. See the Restricted Majors  page for an updated list.

Once their first semester begins, students should consult with their academic assistant dean about changing majors. New students will have access to the form to change their major, minor, concentration, or graduation term after the free drop/add deadline of their first semester. Prior to this date, new students should contact the Admissions office to request approval to change their major. Some majors have enrollment limits and individual transfer procedures, which may include application deadlines, prerequisite courses, and/or GPA requirements. The Change of Major, Minor, Concentration & Graduation Term form, available through UDSIS, should be completed as directed by the department or college to initiate the change (see here for assistance). Additional information concerning changing majors can be found at: http://www.udel.edu/registrar/students/restmajorsinfo.html.