May 23, 2024  
2017-2018 Graduate Catalog 
2017-2018 Graduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Graduate Fees and Financial Aid

Graduate Tuition and Fees Financial Clearance Types of Financial Aid Graduate Special Programs
Housing and Dining Applying for Financial Aid Student Consumer Rights and Responsibilities  
Paying Student Account Financial Aid Awarding and Notification Terms and Conditions  


UD Fee Policies

Student tuition and fees, established by the Board of Trustees, apply equally to all students.  These fees represent approximately 43% of the University’s general revenues.  Additional revenue sources include state appropriations, donations, endowment income, and federal appropriations.
Each student is responsible for understanding and complying with University policies and for paying established fees, which are updated regularly in catalogs, fee-payment materials, and on the University’s website.  Application for admission, as well as subsequent registration, constitutes acceptance of these terms.  The University reserves the right to revise its policies, fees, and other charges.  Any revisions to policies or rates apply to all students.  In most cases, the University provides advanced notice of such changes.

UD’s Cost of Attendance

Graduate Tuition (Per Semester)

UD graduate tuition costs are outlined in the tables below.  Charges are the same for courses taken for credit or as an auditor (listener).  The University of Delaware published graduate student tuition base rate for graduate credit in 2017-18 is $1,770 per credit hour. UD Deans may offer adjustments to the tuition rate in specific programs that may reduce the per credit costs. The net tuition rate in specific programs can be found here.
All full-time graduate students and those with assistantships or fellowships pay the full-time tuition charge and mandatory fees (see Related Fees below).  
Tuition charges are based on registrations made before the end of late registration, or the free drop/add period (the first two weeks of regular semesters or the first four days of Winter/Summer sessions).  Students are responsible for full charges as of that point; no rebates of tuition will be made for courses dropped thereafter.
Please visit the Graduate Catalog to review information about graduate costs and funding.

2017-2018 Fall and Spring Semesters

Credit Hours

Graduate Student
































2018 Winter and Summer Sessions

Credit Hours

Graduate Student











6 $10,620
7 $12,390


Sustaining Fees  
Level Per Semester
Masters $677
Doctoral $1,022

Graduate Mandatory Fees (Per Semester)

All full-time graduate students are responsible for mandatory fees in the Fall and Spring semesters.



(9+ Credits or on Contract)


(1-8 Credits)


Student Health Services


N/A (unless opted in)

The Student Health fee is charged to all full-time students, entitling them to use the Student Health and Counseling Centers.  Part-time, matriculated students can contact the Student Health Center to activate their eligibility to use these services and have the fee charged to their student account, or they may use the facilities on a fee-for-service basis.  This fee is NOT health insurance, does not replace the requirement to be insured, and cannot be waived because of existing health insurance coverage.

Student Center



The Student Center fee covers amortization of bonds used in the construction of the Trabant University Center and in renovations to the Perkins Student Center.  It also supports the operating costs of these student centers.

Graduate Recreation

$50 N/A

This is a mandatory fee charged to all full-time graduate students entitling them to full access of recreation facilities. There will be no additional charges for the special sessions (fall covers through winter, and spring covers through summer).Part-time students are eligible to receive the services on a fee-for-service basis. See for additional information.

International Student Service



This fee is mandatory for international students and supports services provided by the Office of International Students and Scholars.

UD Health Plan

$915 - Fall
$1080 - Spring
unless waived

$915 - Fall
$1080 - Spring
if enrolled

Health insurance is a mandatory requirement for all full-time graduate students and international and contracted graduate students registered full-time, part-time, or sustaining.  Provided by University Health Plans (UHP), UD offers a health plan to eligible students and charges full-time enrollees for this plan.  Students with existing qualifying health insurance coverage can waive the UD coverage and the subsequent fee.  Part-time students are eligible to enroll and pay premiums to UHP directly.


Course Related Fees

Certain courses incur additional fees in support of special equipment or services provided.


Amount Per Semester


Clinical Course


NURS 453

NURS 457

NURS 459

NURS 473

NURS 477

NURS 479

Student Teaching


EDUC 400

EDUC 750



HESC 132

BHAN 132



KAAP 420

KAAP 840

Nutrition Lab


NTDT 210

CHS School of Nursing Simulation Lab


Second Year Undergrad

CHS School of Nursing Simulation Lab


Third Year Undergrad

CHS School of Nursing Simulation Lab

$100 - Winter

$200 - Spring

Accelerated Students



Miscellaneous Fees

Other fees charged to students for various activities or services.


Fee Amount


Admission Application


Charged to all undergraduate and graduate students applying for admission to the University of Delaware

Application for Advanced Degree

$95 - Doctoral Candidates

$50 Master’s Candidates

Charged to all graduate students who have met the requirements of their graduate degree program

Application for Undergraduate Readmission


Charged to students who were previously enrolled in a degree program at UD and wish to return to the University after an absence of 15 months or more, as well as those who have already earned a degree from UD

Blue Hen Helpers


Discounted early move-in fee charged for Blue Hen Helpers (formerly referred to as the Arrival Survival Team) who are the group of volunteers who help new students move their luggage and other belongings into residence halls on New Student Check-In Day.

Carpenter Sports

$100 - family

$50 - individual

Charged during Fall and Spring Semesters to part-time graduate and continuing education students who choose to utilize the facilities at the Carpenter Sports Building

Change of Registration


Charged, in addition to tuition, to students who make changes to their registration after the free drop/add period

Credit by Exam

$75 per credit hour

Charged to all students who attempt to test out of University courses by passing an exam

Disciplinary Restitution

Based on cost

Charged to cover costs associated with disciplinary action incurred by Facilities, University Police, and Grounds departments.

Flex Deficit Charge

Determined by usage

Charged to any student whose Flex account spending exceeds available funds in the Flex account



Charged to students registered for summer session (fee is per session)


$50 - Master’s

$95 - Doctoral

Charged to candidates for advanced degrees who must file an Application for Advanced Degree with the Office of Graduate and Professional Education

ID Replacement


Required of all ID card replacements

Installment Plan


Fee per semester for enrollment in the Installment Payment Plan, a four-installment payment option offered in Fall and Spring Semesters

Installment Penalty


Late fee charged for late or inadequate installment payments

Late Payment


Late fee charged to students who have not financially cleared their student account after the payment deadline and each month there remains an open balance and no installment plan enrollment

Library Fine

Determined by Library fee structure

Fines assessed for late or non-returned books or other library materials

Parking Fine

Determined by Parking Services’ fee structure

Fines assessed to students who violate University parking policy or fail to display their parking permit



Charged during Fall and Spring Semesters and Winter and Summer Sessions to undergraduate and continuing education students (full or part-time) who are not charged the mandatory comprehensive fee and who choose to utilize the facilities at the Carpenter Sports Building

Registration (Summer/Winter)


Charged for registration in each optional term (Winter, Summer I, Summer II)



Assessed to students who are cancelled for a semester and then granted reinstatement

Residence Hall Breaks Early/Late Stay


See Residence Life & Housing for additional information and directions on how to sign up to check in early, stay over break, or check out late.

Residence Hall Excessive Cleaning/Damage


Charged to students who live on campus whose rooms and/or shared living areas incur damage

Residence Hall Key and Core Change

$80 (Regular) /
$118 (Emergency)

Charged to all students who require a key core change

Residence Hall Late Cancellation


Charged to students who cancel their application or request a release from the housing agreement after the deadline, per the Student Housing Contract

Residence Hall Late Check Out


Charged to any student who does not check out of the halls at breaks or semester closing by the posted closing time

Returned Check


Fee assessed for each check of ACH returned by the University’s bank after being presented to the payee’s institution

Student Conduct Administrative

Determined by Student Conduct

Charged to students referred to the Office of Student Conduce for case processing

Test Credit


Charged to undergraduate students who transfer high school credit (AP) courses to UD


$7 (regular request) /
$15 (immediate request)

Charged to any student requesting an official copy of their UD transcript

Transfer Credit


Charged to any student who takes a course, for academic credit, at another institution and then transfers that credit to UD




Please review housing costs on University of Delaware Residence Life and Housing’s website.  Housing charges are applied to your student account and paid along with other charges, as outlined below in the Paying Student Account section.


Students living in traditional residence halls are required to select from available resident meal plan options for each semester/session.  Please review housing costs on University of Delaware Dining website.  Dining charges are applied to your student account and paid along with other charges, as outlined below in the Paying Student Account section.


Paying Student Account

The University uses My Finances, an electronic account management tool which allows students and authorized users to view all aspects of account activity (charges, credits, payments, financial aid eligibility and status, to-do list items, and tax information) as well as make payments to the student account and manage Flex account funds. 
All communications regarding student account billing are sent solely via email to students’ UDEL email addresses and to authorized parent/guardian email addresses.  Billing communications direct recipients to log in securely to My Finances to review and pay the bill.  (Students can select authorized users through UDSIS by clicking “Grant Parent My Finances access.”)

Payment Due Dates and Installment Payment Plan

UD offers an installment play for each the Fall and Spring Semesters, where payments can be divided into 4 monthly installments.  A $50 fee is applied upon enrollment in the installment plan, and $25 a late fee is charged each month that an installment payment is late.  No installment options are available for Winter and Summer Sessions.  Families may opt into the Installment Payment Plan when making payment on My Finances.  Payments in full for special sessions (Winter and Summer) are due by the first day of classes for the respective term.

Payment Due Dates


Fall Semester

Spring Semester

Payment in Full

August 1

January 3

1st Installment

August 1

January 3

2nd Installment

September 1

February 3

3rd Installment

October 1

March 3

4th Installment

November 1

April 3

Payment Options

My Finances offers the following payment options for families to pay the student account.  Additionally, payments can be made via cash or check by visiting the Cashier’s Desk in the Student Services Building.
  • ACH (Automated Clearing House) Payment/Online Check

With your bank account and routing number, your payment will be directly debited from your checking account.  If you are using an equity line of credit or money market account, please check with your financial institution prior to using the ACH payment method; some institutions will not allow ACH payments to be completed and will return the online check.

  • Credit Card

Visa, Mastercard, Discover, and American Express credit card payments may be made online through UD’s payment processing vendor, CashNet.  CashNet assesses a 2.75% service fee, which is not paid to UD and is not refundable, even if the related payment to UD is refunded.

  • Mail a Check

Using My Finances, you may print a remittance slip and indicate that you will mail a paper check, cashier’s check, or money order for your payment.  Please be sure the check includes the student ID and first and last name and mail to Cashier’s Office, 30 Lovett Avenue, Newark, DE, 19716

  • International Wire

UD, along with Western Union Business Solutions, provides international students a simple and secure payment option using their home currency.  Please contact Student Financial Services to obtain wire instructions.

A dishonored check or ACH payment that has been returned by the bank or has not been cleared by the payment deadline does not constitute payment.  The University charges a $25 service charge for dishonored checks.  Students who submit dishonored checks may be required to make future payments by cash, money order, or certified check.  The University has no obligation or liability for erroneous authorized payment instructions.

Payments received prior to 2:30pm EST, Monday-Friday (excluding bank holidays) will be processed the same day.

Financial Clearance

Financial clearance is required to protect the student account from late fees, registration and transcript holds, and potential course cancellation.  The account is considered financially cleared when one of these criteria is met by the due date:

  • Payment in full is made to the student account by the Payment in Full due date.
  • The first (and all subsequent) installment payment is made on-time according to the installment plan schedule.
  • Other funding is recorded via the Report Additional Credits function in My Finances.  Additional sources of funding may not post before the due date because of processing timelines or other reasons.The Report Additional Credits process allows families to inform UD of these pending credits, allowing them to pay only the remaining balance (as applicable).

Any student not enrolled in the installment payment plan who is not financially cleared by the date specified will be charged a $55 late fee each monthly billing cycle.  New students who are admitted and registered after the payment due date will not be charged a late fee if they make payment at the time of registration.

Students enrolled in the installment payment plan who do not pay at least the required installment amounts at the second, third, and fourth installments will be assessed a $25 late fee.

Failure to pay does not relieve students of their financial obligation for courses not dropped within the free drop/add period.  Students who cannot pay or do not plan to attend must drop courses by the drop/add deadline.

The University reserves the right to cancel registration if students have not made satisfactory arrangements to pay semester costs in a timely manner.  If any fees, fines, or miscellaneous payments are not received by due dates, the student may be dropped by the University.  Subsequent registration will be refused and transcripts, diplomas, and other information concerning attendance at the University will be withheld.  Reinstatement requires payment of the amount due and compliance with the usual readmission procedures.

Students are responsible for any collection agency fees, attorney fees, court costs, and other costs and charges necessary for the collection of any amount not paid by the due date.

Students who fail to make payments by the due date may be denied the privilege of using the installment payment plan in future semesters and may be required to prepay any future tuition charges prior to the start of the term for which they are enrolling.

Financial Responsibility and Tuition Refund Eligibility

The act of registering generates related tuition charges for which students are financially responsible.  Students who opt not to take courses for which they are registered must drop the courses by the free drop/add deadline.

Students who withdraw from their classes by the end of the semester’s free drop/add period are eligible for a full refund of tuition and fees.  No refunds of tuition or course fees will be made for withdrawal or dropped courses after the end of the free drop/add period.

Holds and Collections

Failure to financially clear a student account can result in a holds and collections activity.

Holds Reason What to do
BAL Outstanding Balance Due Pay balance due or contact our office to explain why payment cannot be made
CAN Cancellation of Term Pending Pay balance due or contact our office to explain why payment cannot be made
COL Collections Pay balance due or contact our office to explain why payment cannot be made
LON Loans Call the Perkins/Nursing Loan contact in our office (302) 831-8942
NSF Returned Check Replace returned check with a cashier’s check or money order and include the $25 Returned Check Fee
WOF Write Off Account Pay balance due in full to remove your account from Collections
The Collection Services Unit is responsible for the collection of outstanding receivables and the Federal Perkins and Nursing Loans. The collection processes are for students who are no longer enrolled at the University, due to graduation, separation and/or withdrawal. No transcripts or other information relating to any student records at the University shall be released or delivered to the student or on behalf of the student until all debts to the University and all of it affiliates have been paid.

Tuition Discounts

Academy of Lifelong Learning
Matriculated students who are Delaware residents and 60 years of age or older may take credit courses on a space-available basis with no tuition charges.  This discount does not apply to courses taken through Professional and Continuing Studies.  Students must pay all applicable fees, except the Admission Application, Readmission Application, Advance Standing, Student Teaching, and New Student Orientation fees.  For further information, contact the Admissions office at 302-831-2123.

Delaware Teachers
The College of Education and Human Development is committed to Delaware teachers.  Scholarship opportunities offered by the College can be viewed by visiting CEHD.

VA Benefits

All University of Delaware undergraduate and graduate programs are approved by the Delaware State Approving Agency for training of veterans.  In order to utilize Veterans Education Benefits, a student must be an admitted University of Delaware student.

Current UD students who feel they may be eligible to receive Veterans Education Benefits should contact Veterans Affairs at their website or by calling 800-GIBILL-1.  The University Registrar cannot apply for benefits on behalf of a student.

Additional veterans information can be viewed at the UD Registrar’s website.


Financial Aid

Applying for and Receiving Financial Aid

To apply for financial aid, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at  This is the only application that UD requires and it must be completed each academic year.  Filing for the next financial aid year can be completed as early as October 1 each year.  FAFSA tutorial videos and other information on federal financial aid is available from the US Department of Education.


Students matriculated in a degree-granting program who are US citizens or eligible non-citizens and have a valid social security card on file with the Social Security Administration (SSA) are eligible to apply for federal financial aid.  Continuing Education students are not eligible for federal financial assistance.
Additional eligibility information can be viewed on the Department of Education’s website.

Filing the FAFSA

  • Students, parents, and borrowers are required to use an FSA ID, made up of a username and password, to access certain US Department of Education websites. The FSA ID is used to confirm identity when accessing financial aid information and electronically signing federal student aid documents.
  • Using the FSA ID, students complete the FAFSA online at, using UD’s federal school code:001431.
  • Filing the FAFSA will encourage the use of the IRS DRT (Data Retrieval Tool), which allows the US Department of Education to access tax year data directly from the IRS.This will ensure the most accurate aid award and may satisfy the need for further tax information if selected for federal verification.
  • After submitting the FAFSA, students will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) from the federal government which contains the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) and will also indicate Pell Grant eligibility as well as federal directly loans.Families should review the SAR carefully and correct any errors.
  • Remember that the FAFSA must be filed each year and it is available for completion starting on October 1 for the next academic year and UD recommends completing the FAFSA by April 15 for returning students and January 15 for newly admitted students.This ensures that newly admitted students can be notified of financial aid offers timely as they make their enrollment decisions, and helps returning students finalize their application for the upcoming academic year.Some financial aid is awarded on a first-come, first-served basis and please note that state-funded aid may have differing deadlines.
  • Pay special attention not to make any errors on the FAFSA, and verify all personal information entered, particularly social security number and date of birth.Discrepancies with the SSA’s records can cause delays in financial aid awarding.
  • Closely review the information sent on the SAR and correct any errors by logging back into the FAFSA at any time.
  • The federal government does require that a Federal Verification Audit of FAFSA data be completed for some applicants.This process can require the submission of federal income tax forms of students and parents.Students selected for a verification can find more information on FAFSA’s website.A statement of Selective Service Registration Compliance also may be required.

Financial Aid Awarding

Awards may be offered based on available resources, the financial need of the applicant, and the student’s continued enrollment in a degree program (with at least halftime status).  Some aid is awarded on a first-come, first-served basis.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

Federal Title IV assistance programs (ie Federal Unsubsidized Loan) require students to maintain progress toward a degree.    Undergraduate satisfactory progress for financial aid purposes requires:

  • Meeting a minimum cumulative grade point average requirement (GPA).
  • Earning a minimum number of units fro credit per semester (Pace of Progression)
  • Completing the degree objective within a maximum number of semesters enrolled and a maximum number of units attempted (Maximum Time-Frame Allowance).

Official Withdrawal

Changes to enrollment, including termination through official withdrawal can cause adjustments to Title IV federal financial aid funds.  Federal regulations mandate that title IV aid of students who withdraw be reviewed for possible adjustment, and that any unearned aid be returned to the federal aid programs.  Eligibility is based on the cost of education incurred for any individual semester (or special session) to which federal aid is applied and is contingent upon completion of that term.  Percentage of aid earned is based on the date of withdrawal, divided by the total number of days in the session.  Title IV aid is governed by federal policy for students who withdraw prior to completing 60% of the term.

Students are required to adhere to the University’s official withdrawal policy when terminating their enrollment prior to the end of a given term.  Failure to officially withdraw can result in the cancellation of any federal financial aid funds previously awarded that term.  Federal regulations require that funds for ineligible recipients be returned to the financial aid program accounts.  Students will be billed for semester charges.

Graduate Financial Aid Types


Educational loans are a form of financial aid utilized by many graduate students to help meet the cost of attendance. 

  • Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans 
    • Unsubsidized loans accrue interest while students are enrolled, and students can choose to pay the interest each month while enrolled in school or allow interest to accumulate during enrollment.
    • Graduate borrowing limits:  $20,500
    • 2017-2018 rates:  6.00% fixed interest, 1.069% origination fee (disbursement prior to October 1, 2017)
  • The Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan is an additional resource for graduate students.
    • Graduate students may borrow any loan amount up to the cost of attendance determined by UD, less any awarded financial aid.
    • 7.00% fixed interest rate for 2017-2018, 4.276% origination fee (disbursement prior to October 1, 2017)
    • A credit check is part of the application process.
  • Alternative loans are another option to fill the gap between federal aid eligibility and the cost of attendance.  Alternative lender information can be found at FASTChoice.

Graduate First-time University of Delaware Borrowers must:

  • Master Promissory Note

​        Student who are first-time borrowers under the Federal Direct Loan Program are required to complete and sign a master promissory note (MPN) before their loan                               proceeds can be released.  The MPN is a legally binding agreement to the terms and conditions of the loan.  By signing it you are promising to repay your loan.  Please keep a           copy for your records.

  • Entrance Counseling

        First time Federal Direct Student Loan borrowers at the University of Delaware must complete the online Loan Entrance Counseling and Quiz before loan funds can be                       disbursed. Completion of the Loan Entrance Counseling and Quiz is a federal requirement that discusses your rights and responsibilities as a Federal Direct Student Loan                   borrower.

  • Exit Counseling
    Exit counseling provides loan repayment, grace period, and billing information, and is required of students graduating, leaving UD, or dropping below half-time.Completing exit counseling is mandated by federal law and a condition of receiving a federal student loan.

Lending Code of Conduct

The Higher Education Opportunity Act of August 14, 2008 includes provisions that campuses participating in federal Title IV student aid programs publish a code of conduct which serves as the formal guiding principles in ensuring the integrity of the student loan process and ensures the ethical conduct of University of Delaware employees in regard to student loan practices.

The University of Delaware participates in the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan program through the United States Department of Education. This program includes Direct Subsidized, Direct Unsubsidized, and Direct Parent PLUS loans.

Private/Alternative Education loans are also processed for students at their request as needed.

The University of Delaware does not maintain a preferred lender list for private/alternative student loans nor does it recommend any private lender. All decisions concerning private education loans will be made by the borrower based on his or her independent review of lender benefits and services. The University of Delaware will not refuse to certify or delay certification of any private/alternative education loan based on the borrower’s selection of a particular lender.

To avoid any conflict of interest with the responsibilities of University of Delaware employees with respect to parent, student, and private/alternative loans, the University of Delaware’s Student Lending Code of Conduct prohibits the following:

  • Revenue sharing arrangement with any lender. The University of Delaware will not promote or recommend any lender in exchange for a fee or other material benefit from a lender.
  • The solicitation or acceptance of gifts from a lender, guarantor or servicer by anyone with responsibilities with respect to loans at the institution. This prohibition extends to staff members’ families.
  • Employees or agents of a lender from identifying themselves, whether directly, or by implication, as an employee of University of Delaware to students, parents or any person seeking information about the University of Delaware.
  • The assignment of a first-time borrower’s loan to a particular lender, or refusing to certify/originate or otherwise delay certification/origination of any loan, regardless of the lender or guaranty agency the borrower selects.
  • The acceptance of any funds to be used for private/alternative education loans in exchange for the institution providing concessions to the private lender.
  • Requesting or accepting assistance with financial aid or other office staffing from any lender.
  • Any employee with responsibilities with respect to financial assistance at the institution who serves on an advisory board or commission of a lender or guarantor may not accept anything of value from the lender or guarantor, except reimbursement for the reasonable expenses of serving on the board or commission. A Student Financial Services’ staff member wishing to serve on an advisory board must seek prior approval from his or her supervisor.

Student Financial Services’ staff members are expected to understand and adhere to all institutional policies and any local, state and federal requirements that are applicable to their conduct or job performance. Any staff member who has a question whether a particular situation or activity creates a conflict of interest or violates any laws or policy should immediately notify his or her supervisor prior to committing such activity or at the earliest time when such question arises.

Emergency Loans

An emergency loan is intended to assist matriculated undergraduate and graduate students in an unexpected emergency.    An emergency is defined as an unforeseen event or expense.  Most common examples are eviction notices, medical illness or death within the family.   This loan is not related to the student’s financial aid award nor the direct expenses associated with attending the University of Delaware.  These funds are limited, to help ensure funds are readily available; students are required to repay the funds within 30 days.

  • Under all circumstances, the Emergency Loan is the loan of last resort and the student must show reasonable and verifiable proof of having exhausted all other possibilities at the time a loan is requested.
  • Emergency Loans are to be given for crisis situations which cannot be planned for by the student and represent a threat to the student’s health and/or welfare.
  • A graduate on contract who request an emergency loan and repayment is completed through payroll deduction must receive approval from the Assistant Provost of Graduate and Professional Education office.  Completion of Graduate Student Emergency loan Deduction form and approval of Funded Graduate Student Loan Application is required. 

Student Consumer Rights and Responsibilities

Students who receive financial aid from the University of Delaware have the following rights:

  • To know the costs of attendance to the institution
  • To know all available sources of financial aid
  • To be informed of all aspects of the financial aid package awarded, including determination of need and disbursement of aid
  • To know the academic expectations of the institution
  • To know the institutions refund policy

Students who receive financial aid from the University of Delaware have the following responsibilities:

  • To apply for aid by the established University deadline
  • To report any outside awards to the University (via Student Financial Services)
  • To remain in good academic standing and make appropriate academic progress
  • To comply with loan repayment schedules
  • To report any changes in family or student financial status to the University (via Student Financial Services)
  • To report to withdrawal from school to the offices of Student Life, Residence Life, and Student Financial Services


Terms and Conditions

Education beyond high school is a significant investment that involves your time, money, and effort.  By enrolling in the University of Delaware, students agree to accept certain rights and responsibilities.  Students applying for and receiving financial aid further agree to the terms and conditions underlying those awards.  Failure to comply with your responsibilities may result in removal from the University, cancellation or reduction of financial aid, and/or collection activity.

The information provided here should be used as a guide and is subject to change without notice to comply with federal and/or state governments, the trustees of the University of Delaware, and the administration of the University.

Questions concerning the content of rights and responsibilities and the terms and conditions of financial aid should be directed to University Delaware Student Financial Services.

Financial Aid Terms and Conditions

I understand any financial aid that is being offered to me has the following conditions associated with it as defined here:

  • I understand that the Financial Aid Award Notice does not represent actual or guaranteed payment but is an estimate of the aid I may receive if I meet all requirements stipulated by that aid program.
  • I understand that my Financial Aid Award is contingent upon my continued enrollment and attendance in each class upon which my financial aid eligibility was calculated. If I drop any class before completion, I understand that my financial aid eligibility may decrease and some or all of the financial aid awarded to me may be revoked.
  • If some or all of my financial aid is revoked because I dropped or failed to attend class, I agree to repay all revoked aid that was disbursed to my account and resulted in a credit balance that was refunded to me.
  • I agree to allow financial aid I receive to pay any and all charges assessed to my account at the University of Delaware, such as tuition, fees, campus housing and meal plans, student health insurance, parking permits, service fees, fines, bookstore charges, or any other amount, in accordance with the terms of the aid.
  • I understand that the University of Delaware makes available financial aid terms and conditions for my review at any time.
  • Federal Aid: I understand that any federal Title IV financial aid I receive, except for Federal Work-Study wages, will first be applied to any outstanding balance on my account for tuition, fees, room and board. Title IV financial aid includes aid from the Pell Grant, Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG), Direct Loan, PLUS Loan, Perkins Loan, and TEACH Grant programs. I authorize the University of Delaware to apply my Title IV financial aid to other charges assessed to my student account, such as student health insurance, parking permits, bookstore charges, service fees and fines, and any other education related charges. I further understand that this authorization will remain in effect until I rescind it. Finally, I understand that federally-required disclosures can be on the University’s consumer information page.
  • Prizes, Awards, Scholarships, Grants: I understand that all prizes, awards, scholarships and grants awarded to me by the University of Delaware will be credited to my student account and applied toward any outstanding balance. I further understand that my receipt of a prize, award, scholarship or grant is considered a financial resource according to federal Title IV financial aid regulations and may, therefore, reduce my eligibility for other federal and/or state financial aid (i.e., loans, grants, Federal Work Study) which, if already disbursed to my student account, must be reversed and returned to the aid source.
  • I must be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen to receive federal or state funds.
  • I must be classified as a degree-seeking student at the University of Delaware to be eligible for financial aid. I understand that limited graduate certificate programs may be eligible, and I should check with Student Financial Services (SFS) to determine if I would be eligible and to find out what limitations might exist. I also acknowledge that provisionally admitted graduate students are not eligible for financial assistance.
  • My financial assistance is awarded based on merit and/or calculated need as determined from the information provided on my financial aid application forms. Further, my financial aid awards are subject to adjustments or cancellations due to changes in laws, regulations, appropriations, financial situation, verification, discovery of data errors, enrollment status, or residency status, to name a few examples where adjustments may be necessary.
  • If I have been previously incarcerated, am currently incarcerated or might be incarcerated during my current term of attendance, I must identify myself to Student Financial Services to determine my financial aid eligibility.
  • If I receive any financial assistance from an outside source (e.g., a private scholarship) that is not processed through Student Financial Services, I must inform SFS.
  • I must be enrolled at least half-time (6 credit hours minimum as an undergraduate student for all semesters or 4.5 credit hours minimum as a graduate students for the fall and spring semesters and 6 credit hours minimum for the summer semester (with a few exceptions for our Graduate online programs) to be eligible for the Federal Direct Loan(s). If I am a Pell Grant recipient, I may be allowed to receive the Pell at a reduced rate if I enroll less than half time.
  • Undergraduates must be enrolled full-time (12 credit hours per semester) to receive most types of financial aid. If I enroll less than full-time, my financial aid awards (including Federal Direct Loans, University of Delaware grants/scholarships, Federal Perkins Loan, and the Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)) will be reduced or cancelled.
  • I must only be enrolled in classes required to complete degree requirements in my specified program of study as specified in the University Catalog. I understand I should work with my academic advisor to determine that the coursework I am enrolled in is required to meet graduation requirements in my program.
  • I understand that classes taken for audit are not eligible for financial assistance and do not count toward enrollment for purposes of financial assistance. I also acknowledge that it can affect renewing of future awards/scholarships if I do not complete a full-time course load.
  • If requested, I agree to provide documents to verify the accuracy of information reported on the FAFSA before financial aid can be awarded or disbursed.
  • I will be responsible for repaying any funds I receive that exceed my financial need or, if for any reason, I become ineligible for the financial aid. If I drop classes, withdraw, or make other academic changes, my financial aid awards may be adjusted and repayment may be required. I agree to contact Student Financial Services prior to dropping or withdrawing from the University, as it may impact my current or future aid eligibility.
  • If I stop attending classes without officially withdrawing (unofficial withdrawal), I understand my financial aid awards may be adjusted and repayment may be required.
  • I understand I must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).
  • I acknowledge that I must work in a Federal Work-Study (FWS) position to earn the FWS amount shown on my financial aid award notice, as FWS funds are not disbursed into my University student account. Rather, I will receive a pay check every two weeks, just as in any other form of employment.
  • If I am working toward a second bachelor’s degree, I may be only eligible for Federal Direct Loan(s).
  • I understand I am not eligible for aid restricted to undergraduate students, such as the Federal Pell Grant or Federal SEOG, if I have a bachelor’s degree or I am a graduate/professional student.
  • I acknowledge I will receive financial aid in two installments (one half will disbursed for fall semester; the second half for spring semester), unless otherwise noted. I understand disbursements will be made directly to my student account.
  • I agree that my financial aid will be used to pay any and all university charges that accrue to my account. If I wish to limit aid to pay only tuition, fees, and on-campus housing charges, I understand I must notify SFS in writing.
  • I agree to respond promptly to all requests from SFS for additional information. If I do not respond, I understand I may be billed for a portion or all of the financial aid disbursed to me.
  • I agree that a financial aid refund from one semester can be used to cover any prior semester’s outstanding charges. If I wish to decline the crediting of one semester’s aid refund to a prior semester’s charges, I must decline by contacting SFS at
  • I agree to notify SFS if I have been awarded financial aid for a semester in which I do not plan to enroll.
  • I certify that any federal student aid funds received during the award year will be used solely for educational expenses related to attendance during the year.
  • I agree to repay to UD any financial aid funds disbursed to me in error. If a mistake was made, whether by myself, SFS or another agency, I understand that federal regulations require that the mistake be corrected and funds be billed back as necessary.

Student Account Terms and Conditions

Payment of Fees / Promise to Pay

I understand that, when I register for any class at the University of Delaware (UD) or receive any service from UD, I accept full responsibility to pay all tuition, fees and other associated costs assessed as a result of my registration and/or receipt of services. I further understand and agree that my registration and acceptance of these terms constitutes a promissory note agreement (i.e., a financial obligation in the form of an educational loan as defined by the U.S. Bankruptcy Code at 11 U.S.C. §523(a)(8)) in which the University of Delaware is providing me educational services, deferring some or all of my payment obligation for those services, and I promise to pay for all assessed tuition, fees and other associated costs by the published or assigned due date.)

I understand that I must officially withdraw from classes thought UDSIS before the free drop/add period for the term in question ends to receive a full refund of tuition and fees. I further understand and agree that if I drop or withdraw from some or all of the classes for which I register after the end of free drop/add, I will still be responsible for paying the full tuition and fees as stated on my student account prior to drop/withdrawal. I further understand that my failure to attend class or receive a bill does not absolve me of my financial responsibility as described above.

Online Payment Processing Security

I understand that the University of Delaware has chosen CASHNet as the secure third-party payment processor for UD. I also understand that the UD and CASHNet websites adhere to all applicable federal, state, and banking security standards. I understand that CASHNet secures my personal information entered into their website through VeriSign (Secure Sockets Layer, SSL, 128-bit encryption), which creates a protected connection between users and the web server. I further understand that this means my account number and personal data are never sent over the internet unencrypted. Finally, I understand that any payment, e.g., check or ACH, made to the University of Delaware complies with NACHA standards.

Delinquent Account / Collection

Financial Hold: I understand and agree that if I fail to pay my student account bill or any monies due and owing the University of Delaware by the scheduled due date, UD will place a financial hold on my student account, preventing me from registering for future classes, requesting transcripts, or receiving my diploma.

Late Payment Charge: I understand and agree that if I fail to pay my student account bill or any monies due and owing the University of Delaware by the scheduled due date, UD will assess late payment and/or finance charges at the rate of $55 per month ($25 per month if I have enrolled in the monthly installment plan) on the past due portion of my student account until my past due account is paid in full.

Collection Activity: I understand and accept that if I fail to pay my student account bill or any monies due and owing the University of Delaware by the scheduled due date, and fail to make acceptable payment arrangements to bring my account current, UD may refer my delinquent account to a collection agency. I further understand delinquent account may be reported to one or more of the national credit bureaus.


Method of Communication: I understand and agree that the University of Delaware uses e-mail as an official method of communication with me, and that, therefore, I am responsible for reading the e-mails I receive from UD on a timely basis. I further acknowledge and understand that UD enables me to grant parent/guardian access to My Finances, the University’s online billing and financing site, and to receiving email billing notifications via the Parent/Guardian Services administration website.

Contact: I authorize the University of Delaware and its agents and contractors to contact me at my current and any future cellular phone number(s), email address(es) or wireless device(s) regarding my delinquent student account(s)/loan(s), any other debt I owe to UD, or to receive general information from the University of Delaware. I authorize UD and its agents and contractors to use automated telephone dialing equipment, artificial or pre-recorded voice or text messages, and personal calls and emails, in their efforts to contact me. Furthermore, I understand that I may withdraw my consent to call my cellular phone by submitting my request in writing to Registrar’s Office.

Updating Contact Information: I understand and agree that I am responsible for keeping the University of Delaware records in UDSIS up to date with my current physical addresses, email addresses, and phone numbers. Upon leaving the University of Delaware for any reason, it is my responsibility to provide UD with updated contact information for purposes of continued communication regarding any amounts that remain due and owing to the University of Delaware.

Entire Agreement

This agreement supersedes all prior understandings, representations, negotiations and correspondence between the student and the University of Delaware, constitutes the entire agreement between the parties with respect to the matters described, and shall not be modified or affected by any course of dealing or course of performance. This agreement may be modified by the University of Delaware if the modification is signed by me. Any modification is specifically limited to those policies and/or terms addressed in the modification.

Method of Billing

I understand that the University of Delaware uses electronic billing (e-bill) as its official billing method, and, therefore, I am responsible for viewing and paying my student account e-bill by the scheduled due date. I further understand that failure to review my e-bill does not constitute a valid reason for not paying my bill on time. I further acknowledge that e-bill information is available on the SFS website.

Billing Errors

I understand that administrative, clerical, or technical billing errors do not absolve me of my financial responsibility to pay the correct amount of tuition, fees, and other associated financial obligations assessed as a result of my registration at the University of Delaware.

Returned Payments / Failed Payment Agreements

If I decide to completely withdraw from the University of Delaware, I will follow the instructions on the Registrar’s website, which I understand and agree are incorporated herein by reference.


If I decide to completely withdraw from the University of Delaware, I will follow the instructions on the Registrar’s website, which I understand and agree are incorporated herein by reference.

Privacy Rights and Responsibilities

I understand that the University of Delaware is bound by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), which prohibits UD from releasing any information from my education record without my written permission. Therefore, I understand that if I want the University of Delaware to share information from my education record with someone else, I must provide written permission by following the procedure outlined on the Registrar’s website. I further understand that I may revoke my permission at any time as instructed in the same procedure.

IRS Form 1098-T

I agree to provide my Social Security number (SSN) or taxpayer identification number (TIN) to the University of Delaware upon request as required by Internal Revenue Service (IRS) regulations for Form 1098-T reporting purposes. If I fail to provide my SSN or TIN to UD, I agree to pay any and all IRS fines assessed as a result of my missing SSN/TIN.

I consent to receive my annual IRS Form 1098-T, Tuition Statement, electronically from the University of Delaware. I understand that if I do not consent to receive my Form 1098-T electronically, a paper copy will be provided. I understand that I can withdraw this consent or request a paper copy by submitting a request at

Student Age

I understand and agree that if I am younger than the applicable age of majority when I execute this agreement that the educational services provided by the University of Delaware are a necessity, and I am contractually obligated pursuant to the “doctrine of necessaries.”

Financial Aid Eligibility Guidelines

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Satisfactory academic progress (SAP) is checked at the end of each spring semester. Students failing to meet SAP are placed on financial aid suspension beginning with the summer term. Students placed on financial aid suspension are ineligible to receive any federal student aid funds.

Students who fail to maintain SAP will be notified on how to submit an appeal, citing any special or mitigating circumstances they believe should be considered. Students submitting successful appeals are placed on financial aid probation and allowed to receive federal student aid for one semester. Each successful appeal includes academic requirements that must be met to receive aid beyond the one semester. Students denied aid for failure to meet these satisfactory academic progress requirements may re-establish eligibility once they meet the requirements.

Financial Need

Financial need is the difference between what it costs you to attend The University and the resources you have available to meet those costs. Costs of attendance (COA) include tuition and fees; room and board or an allowance for housing and food for students living off campus; allowances for books, supplies, transportation, and personal expenses.

Your individual family’s ability to meet your costs of attendance is determined by a formula established by Congress that calculates your Expected Family Contribution (EFC). The EFC is a measure of how much you and your family are expected to contribute to the costs of your education for the year. The EFC is determined by an analysis of the financial data you and your parents (or you and your spouse, if married) provided on the FAFSA. If your costs of attendance (COA) exceed your EFC, then you demonstrate financial need (amounting to the difference between the COA and the EFC). If your EFC exceeds your costs of attendance (COA), then you do not have financial need and are, therefore, ineligible for need-based student financial aid. Eligibility for most scholarships, the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan program, and the Federal Parent (PLUS) Loan program is not based on financial need.


Verification is a federally mandated, quality control process in which some FAFSA applications are selected by the Federal Processor. Your Student Aid Report will tell you if you have been selected for verification. If so, our office must then complete a verification review in order to “verify” the accuracy of your FAFSA data. We will notify how to complete the verification process, as well as how to submit the required documentation in My SFS Docs. The verification worksheet must be completed and submitted through your portal along with other required documentation based on your verification selection status. After the verification review process, our office may need to correct any inaccurate information on your FAFSA. If no corrections are needed, and all FAFSA data is verified as accurate, your financial aid will be awarded based on your eligibility.

Since the verification process can delay your financial aid disbursement, you are encouraged to provide our office with requested information as soon as possible.

Status Change

Student aid recipients are required to report to Student Financial Services any changes in financial or residency status. This includes the reporting of the receipt of funds from sources such as scholarships, loans, and fellowships not reported in the original application.


Student Financial Services reserves the right to review and revise, or cancel awards at any time for the following reasons: changes in financial or academic status, discovery of incorrect or falsified information, or errors in the determination of need and eligibility for assistance.


Scholarships, loans, and grants are disbursed by direct credit to the student account at the beginning of each semester. Refunds of any excess funds can be requested by the student at and be mailed to your permanent address or directly deposited to your personal account.

Refund/Payment for Withdrawals

The Higher Education Amendments of 1998 defines withdrawal as failure to complete the period of attendance on which federal aid eligibility was based. Therefore, this policy affects not only those individuals who complete the formal withdrawal notification process, but also those students who simply stop attending classes.

Students withdrawing after classes begin will be required to repay a prorated portion of funds received.

Special refund provisions apply for students who withdraw after receiving financial aid for a specific term of enrollment from any of the following Title IV programs:

  • Federal Direct  Unsubsidized Loan
  • Federal PLUS Loan ( Graduate)



Financial aid awards are not automatically renewed from year to year. Students must file the FAFSA each year. 


The receipt of federal funds in excess of a student’s eligibility is called an overaward. Students are liable for overawards whether the overaward is a result of incomplete or erroneous data provided by the student or an error on the part of the University.

Special Graduate Programs

Students enrolled in either the Doctor of Physical Therapy program or the Dietetic Internship Certificate program may apply for federal financial aid through the FAFSA. When applying for aid, there are considerations, specific to each respective program that you should keep in mind. Please open the links below for more information.

Doctors of Physical Therapy

Cost of Attendance

Tuition rates and registration fees are based on the going rate for graduate student tuition in the academic year. Please note that the standard graduate student Budget (link to “grad cost info” page) shows only costs for the fall and spring semester of an academic year. Winter and summer term courses are also required per the DPT Curriculum Overview. The costs for winter and summer term courses represent costs beyond those shown in the standard fall/spring semester budget.

Applying for Aid

Students attending the DPT program may be eligible to receive federal direct student loans, and/or Graduate PLUS Loans to help cover tuition and fees. You generally will have up to $20,500 in federal student loan eligibility for each academic year in which the FAFSA is completed. Factors such as the cost of attendance, and other aid received, can affect the actual amount of federal direct loans a student receives in each academic year.

Incoming DPT Students
You will want to complete your FAFSA at least a month before the start of your summer courses. Please note that the aid application required for your Summer 2012 classes will be different than the aid application required for your Fall 2012 classes. Please be sure that you’ve completed both the 2011-2012 aid year FAFSA, and the 2012-2013 aid year FAFSA, if you are seeking federal aid for each of those academic periods.
Returning DPT Students

Students returning for each new academic year may complete a FAFSA to receive federal financial aid for that academic year. Each academic year runs from the Fall term of one year through the Summer term of the next (e.g. Fall 2012, through Summer 2013, is one academic year). Please keep in mind that $20,500 is the maximum amount of federal direct student loans a graduate student may receive for an entire academic year.

You may seek other funding options if there are still costs to cover beyond what you are offered in federal direct student loan funding.

Dietetic Internship Certificate Program

Cost of Attendance

The Dietetic Internship is a one-year certificate program. Tuition rates and registration fees for this program are available through the Dietetic Internship Program website. Tuition costs for this program in general, are different than costs for other graduate programs. Allowances for housing, and certain other miscellaneous costs can be counted as part of the cost of attendance for the Dietetic Internship Program.

Applying for Aid

Students enrolled in the Dietetic Internship Program are eligible to apply for federal student aid through the FAFSA. You may be able to receive up to $20,500 in federal direct student loans for the academic year. Factors such as the cost of attendance, and other aid received, can affect the actual amount of federal direct loans a student receives in each academic year.

You may seek other funding options if there are still costs to cover beyond what you are offered in federal direct student loan funding.