Finance (MS)(Dual Degree MBA/MS)
Telephone: (302) 831-1015
Faculty Listing: http://www.lerner.udel.edu/departments/finance/faculty-staff
The purpose of the MS Finance program is to provide students with the theoretical knowledge and practical skills to be innovative, well-informed, and experienced finance professionals. The curriculum is based on the financial theory and empirical methods employed by professionals practicing corporate finance, financial security valuation, financial modeling, portfolio management, financial services management, financial risk management, and corporate governance. In addition, students are expected to leverage the educational opportunities afforded by the Lerner Trading Center and the Weinberg Center for Corporate Governance. As a result, students will obtain training and experience valued by corporations, financial service firms, consulting firms, and government agencies. Additionally, if desired, students may tailor their program to enhance progress through a subsequent doctoral degree program.
If accepted into the program as a full-time student with a strong background in finance, the 30-credit degree program may be completed in nine months (the accelerated program). Other full-time students may complete the program in eighteen months and part-time students may complete the program in twenty-one months.
For further details contact the MS Finance Program Director: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Requirements for Admission
Candidates for admission need not have majored in any specific field, but they will be expected to possess:
Students deficient in any of the admission requirements may be admitted on conditional status and required to complete prerequisite non-degree coursework.
Admission to the program is selective and competitive. Those who meet stated minimum academic requirements are not guaranteed admission, nor are those who fail to meet those requirements necessarily precluded from admission if they offer other appropriate strengths. The following should be considered the minimum requirements for consideration for admission:
- Comply with all of the requirements in the Graduate Admissions section of this catalog.
- Earn a minimum combined verbal and quantitative score of 1050 (prior to 8/1/2011) or 300 (after 8/1/2011) on the GRE or at or above the 55 percentile on the GMAT.
- Have a minimum overall undergraduate GPA of 3.0 (out of 4.0).
- Hold the equivalent of a four-year U.S. bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- Submit official transcripts of all previous academic work.
- Submit two (2) letters of recommendation.
- Submit a resume and application essay on the following topic:
- What are your career objectives and how will an MS Finance degree from the Alfred Lerner College of Business & Economics at the University of Delaware help you achieve your goals?
- Students whose native language is not English must achieve either a minimum score of 100 on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL-IBT) or 7.5 on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). This requirement may be waived if the student has earned a degree from an accredited educational institution in a country where English is the primary language and instruction was in English.
See Graduate Admissions for additional information, particularly for application procedures and deadlines.