Dec 01, 2021
The Department of Communication offers a 4+1 BA/MA that allow students to complete both the Bachelor of Arts degree in Communication and the Master of Arts degree in Strategic Communication. All requirements of both degree programs must be satisfied. Up to six credits of graduate coursework in strategic communication may be applied toward satisfying the requirements of both degrees.
Students applying to a 4+1 BA/MA must be in their junior year of study at the University of Delaware, enrolled in the Bachelor of Arts degree program administered by the Department of Communication and must have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0. The application process requires three letters of recommendation, which must be written by University of Delaware faculty, academic transcripts, a written personal statement of goals and objectives, and a GRE score (which can be waived with a cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.25 at the time of application). The core requirements for the MA program must be completed and the UD Bachelor’s degree must be awarded before a student can register in the +1 year of the 4+1 program.
Students must complete all twelve credits from the list below:
- COMM 702 - Principles of Strategic Communication (3cr.)
- COMM 703 - Communication Research (3cr.)
- COMM 706 - Communication Theory (3cr.)
- COMM 707 - Strategic Communication Ethics (3cr.)
Students must take fifteen elective course credits from the list below over the course of their program to develop their own individualized program of study. Students must consult with an adviser (the Department of Communication’s Director of Graduate Studies unless another adviser is assigned to the student) to ensure their course selections best fit their academic and career goals.
- COMM 609 - Public Relations Campaign Planning (3cr.)
- COMM 613 - Advanced Public Relations Management (3cr.)
- COMM 652 - Communication and Persuasion (3cr.)
- COMM 676 - Social Media and Communication (3cr.)
- COMM 719 - Reputation Management (3cr.)
- COMM 722 - Crisis Communication (3cr.)
- COMM 724 - Public Relations Writing (3cr.)
- COMM 725 - Branding (3cr.)
- COMM 729 - Topics in Public Relations (3 to 6cr.)
- COMM 731 - Interactive Marketing (3cr.)
- COMM 733 - Writing for Digital Media (3cr.)
- COMM 734 - Digital Media Content Strategy (3cr.)
- COMM 735 - Social Media Management (3cr.)
- COMM 736 - User Data Analytics (3cr.)
- COMM 739 - Topics in Digital Media (3 to 6cr.)
- COMM 740 - Effective Health Communication (3cr.)
- COMM 751 - Digital Political Strategy (3cr.)
- COMM 752 - Sports Communication & Branding (3cr.)
- COMM 753 - Media Analytics (3cr.)
- COMM 754 - Communication and Leadership (3cr.)
- COMM 756 - Advanced Strategic Communication Writing (3cr.)
- COMM 814 - Communication Campaigns (3cr.)
All students must complete the three course credit capstone.
Last Revised for 2020-2021 Academic Year