The Biden School of Public Policy and Administration (Biden School) offers a 4+1 BA/MPA program that allows students to complete both the Bachelor of Arts in Political Science (BA-PS) and the Master of Public Administration (MPA). All requirements of both degree programs must be satisfied.
The Political Science BA students electing the 4+1 Program will complete the existing 18-credit minor in Public Policy involving UAPP 110 - Changing the World and Public Policy ; UAPP 225 - Crafting Public Policy ; and UAPP 325 - Public Policy Analysis ; and in consultation with an advisor from Public Policy will take three additional courses selected from the public policy curriculum.
Political Science majors may apply to the 4+1 accelerated, combined program after completing 60 credit hours. This is typically in the Fall semester of their Junior Year. The completed application will be reviewed by the admissions committee for the MPA.
Admission decisions for the BA-MPA program are made by an admissions committee of Biden School faculty. Students will be admitted based on enrollment availability, their perceived fit within the program, and their ability to meet the following minimum recommended entrance requirements:
- An undergraduate GPA of 3.3 or higher (on a 4.0 scale)
- GRE scores that are similarly distributed on the quantitative and verbal aptitude portions, with a priority on the demonstration of strong analytical ability. GRE scores are viewed in the context of the applicant’s complete record. GRE may be waived by the admissions committee for applicants with a GPA of 3.5 or higher.
The application process requires:
- A completed University of Delaware graduate application. Student should select spring of the upcoming year (junior year) as the application term.
- Three letters of recommendation (at least one from a faculty member in the student’s undergraduate program).
- A current resume.
- A comprehensive UD unofficial undergraduate transcript.
- A statement of personal interests and objectives that clearly identifies the applicant’s educational objectives and explains how admission to the program will facilitate his or her professional interests.
- Biden School Supplementary Information Form: This form provides information about the student’s academic program, area of interest, financial assistance, affiliation with other institutions and programs, and how they heard about the Biden School.
Students admitted to the 4+1 accelerated, combined program will complete all requirements for the BA in Political Science prior to the start of their fifth year of study.