Jun 10, 2023
Return to: Programs
Second Writing Requirement:
A Second Writing Requirement approved by the College of Arts and Sciences. This course must be taken after completion of 60 credit hours, completed with a minimum grade of C-, and the section enrolled must be designated as satisfying the requirement in the academic term completed.
- Completion of the intermediate-level course (107,112, or 202) in an ancient or modern language with minimum grades of D-.
- The number of credits (0-12) needed and initial placement will depend on the number of years of high school study of foreign language.
- Students with four or more years of high school work in a single foreign language, or who have gained proficiency in a foreign language by other means, may attempt to fulfill the requirement in that language by taking an exemption examination through the Languages, Literatures and Cultures Department.
College of Arts and Sciences Breadth Requirements:
The College Breadth Requirements are taken in addition to the University Breadth Requirement. Up to three credits from each of the University Breadth Requirement categories may be used to simultaneously satisfy these College of Arts and Sciences Breadth Requirements. College Breadth courses must be completed with a minimum grade of C-.
A total of 21 credits from Groups A, B, and C is required with a minimum of six credits in each group. The six credits from each group could be from the same area.
Minimum grade C- required in all BISC courses for a total of at least 43 credits in Biological Sciences.
Required Lecture Courses:
THE LECTURE AND THE LAB CANNOT BE TAKEN SIMULTANEOUSLY.
Select two from the seven options below:
A literature-based course chosen from the approved list , which also must be listed in the elective groups A-E below.
Biology electives at the 300-level or above to total 43 credit hours in Biological Sciences. These electives must include courses from a minimum of two of the groups (A-E) below. BISC 100 , BISC 207 , and BISC 208 count towards the total of 43 credits needed for the major. Six of the 43 credit hours may come from a list of approved courses from other academic units (minimum grade C, not C-).
B. Molecular Biology and Biochemistry:
- BISC 602 - Molecular Biology of Animal Cells
- BISC 679 - Virology
- BISC 682 - Bacterial Pathogens: Molecular Mechanisms
- CHEM 642 - Biochemistry
- BISC 415 - Developmental Biology (3cr.)
- BISC 615 - Developmental Biology
- BISC 605 - Advanced Mammalian Physiology
- BISC 606 - Advanced Mammalian Physiology
- BISC 610 - Endocrine Physiology
- BISC 626 - Advanced Neuroanatomy
- BISC 627 - Advanced Neurophysiology
- BISC 675 - Cardiovascular Physiology
- ANFS 644 - Bioinformatics
- A computer science course beyond the introductory level.
A grade of D (not D-) or better must be obtained in Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, and Statistics courses required for all Biological Sciences majors and minor.
After required courses are completed, sufficient elective credits must be taken to meet the minimum credit requirement for the degree.
Credits to Total a Minimum of 124
Last Revised 2017-2018 Academic Year
Return to: Programs