Jun 15, 2024  
2019-2020 Graduate Catalog 
2019-2020 Graduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Department of Entomology and Wildlife Ecology

Entomology and Wildlife Ecology (MS and PhD)

Telephone: (302) 831-2526
Faculty Listing: http://canr.udel.edu/our-faculty/enwc-faculty

Program Overview

The Department offers programs leading to the Master of Science (MS) in Entomology, MS in Wildlife Ecology, and the Doctorate of Philosophy (PhD) in Entomology and Wildlife Ecology. Graduate students in these fields couple a focus on insects or vertebrates with a broad knowledge of other related fields of biology, especially ecology. The MS degree programs prepare students for pursuit of the PhD. While it is possible to go directly to the PhD program, the Department faculty prefers that students complete the MS degree before being admitted or reclassified into the doctoral degree program in Entomology and Wildlife Ecology.

Research Facilities

Facilities to support graduate study in the Department include laboratories; an insectary; programmed growth chambers; a greenhouse; field plots and a 35-acre woodlot on the experimental farm; collections of pinned, liquid, and slide specimens of insects, amphibians, and reptiles; bird and mammal skins; equipment for DNA analysis; a capillary gas chromatograph; advanced optical systems; and an excellent library collection of pertinent journals and books. The USDA Beneficial Insects Introduction Research Unit located on the campus and several preserves, parks, and wildlife areas, research centers, governmental organizations, and companies located nearby offer additional opportunities for field and laboratory study.

Requirements For Admission

Minimum requirements for admission to the master and doctoral degree programs are an undergraduate academic index of 2.8 overall and 3.0 in the major field of study and a combined score of 1050 (300 for revised GRE test taken on or after August 1, 2011) on the verbal and quantitative portions of the GRE. Graduate GPA (if applicable) should be at least 3.2. A paper-based TOEFL score of at least 550 (or 213 computer-based, 79 on IBET) is required for international students. The Advanced GRE in Biology is strongly recommended for applicants.

Financial Aid

Graduate students in good standing generally receive financial support from a research assistantship, teaching assistantship, or fellowship. Graduate students on an assistantship or fellowship are expected to give their full-time attention to graduate study. Please refer to the Graduate Fellowships and Assistantships section for more information.