May 29, 2024  
2023-2024 Undergraduate Catalog 
2023-2024 Undergraduate Catalog

Professional and Continuing Studies

The Division of Professional and Continuing Studies (UD PCS) extends the University of Delaware’s academic resources to citizens throughout the state and beyond through credit courses, certificate programs, non-degree short courses, distance learning, institutes and conferences. Programs are offered in the fall and spring semesters as well as during the winter and summer sessions. Programs are taught or conducted by University faculty members and by outstanding professionals in their particular subject areas.

More information about UD PCS professional development programs and courses can be found in the Graduate catalog.

UD PCS offers the following professional development programs: 

The Division of Professional and Continuing Studies provides customized, on-site training to area businesses, government agencies and professional associations in Delaware and beyond to help meet their educational and professional development needs.

Advisement for Continuing Education Students

The Division of Professional and Continuing Studies ACCESS Center provides academic advisement, career exploration and assessment, and registration assistance to current Continuing Education Non-Degree (CEND) and Graduate College Non-Degree (GCND) students, prospective students, and members of the community. Academic advisors assist students in developing a plan to attain their educational and career goals, providing guidance on UD policies and processes, help with course selection and registration, and connection to resources and supports.

In-person, telephone and zoom appointments are available by emailing or calling 302-831-8843.

Part-time Study to Fit Your Lifestyle

Take Undergraduate Courses and Degrees as a Part-time Student

Undergraduate students are considered part-time if they enroll in fewer than 12 credits during the fall or spring semester.  Individuals wishing to take courses part-time status may apply through the Office of Admissions for an undergraduate degree program, or they may take courses without being admitted as Continuing Education Non-Degree (CEND) students. CEND students may typically enroll in a maximum of seven credits per semester or session, and many of the University’s undergraduate courses are available to CEND students, as long as course requisites are met.

For more information regarding taking credit courses as a Continuing Education student, contact the Division of Professional and Continuing Studies ACCESS Center via email at or visit

Distance Learning Brings the Campus to You

UD Online learning provides nontraditional students with greater access to credit courses and degree programs at the University of Delaware. UD Online offers students the freedom to pursue their degree even if their schedules or geographic locations prevent them from attending class on campus.

The UD Online “virtual classroom” features many creative learning technologies such as videostreamed class lectures, interactive web activities, blogs, online research projects, threaded discussions and chatrooms. Online courses have exams proctored virtually and at the University of Delaware testing locations.

The following programs or courses are available in online or hybrid-online format.

Undergraduate degrees and certificates:

Learning Should Last a Lifetime

The Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI) at the University of Delaware, a program of the Division of Professional and Continuing Studies, provides more than 300 noncredit courses (in-person, online and hybrid) each semester as well as seminars, cultural and social events, and other learning and enrichment activities for individuals age 50 and over. Courses and activities are planned and taught by members. Languages, history, science, technology, religion, art appreciation and music-appreciation and performance-are all areas included within the OLLI program. UD offers OLLI programs online and in-person in Wilmington, Dover, Lewes and Ocean View. For more information, please visit

Academically Qualified High School Students May Take Courses Through Continuing Education

High school students interested in taking credit courses at the University may enroll as Continuing Education students. Interested students are required to meet with a Professional and Continuing Studies ACCESS Center academic advisor. Credits become part of the student’s permanent record at the University and may be applied toward a university degree. For  information or to schedule an appointment with an academic advisor, email or call the ACCESS Center at 302-831-8843. For more information regarding opportunities available to high school students, visit

The Dual Enrollment Program. . The Division of Professional and Continuing Studies, in partnership with several UD colleges and departments, offers introductory-level courses to academically qualified high school juniors and seniors through the Dual Enrollment Program. Courses are delivered on-site at high schools and online. Upon successful completion of courses, students are awarded college credit. If admitted to UD, these credits will decrease the time to completion and cost of a UD bachelor’s degree. Students can also apply UD credit toward degrees at other universities and colleges, pending approval by the receiving institutions.Academic and student services are available to those enrolled in the program. Academic and student services are available to those enrolled in the program. For more information, please visit, and for questions, please email

The Governor’s School for Excellence is a one-week summer residential program that brings together academically and artistically talented Delaware high school students who have completed their sophomore year. Students live in residence halls on the Newark campus and attend either the academic program–consisting of discussions, lectures, debates and films revolving around a specific theme–or the visual and performing arts program, which provides tutorial instruction with a noted artist and culminates in a performance or display of work.

Information is available through Delaware’s secondary schools or by visiting