Jun 15, 2024  
2023-2024 Undergraduate Catalog 
2023-2024 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Undergraduate Admissions

What Every Applicant Needs To Know

Students interested in beginning or continuing their undergraduate education at the University of Delaware must apply for admission through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. The University seeks a diverse student body and the positive educational benefit that results in a community that brings together a variety of experiences and viewpoints.

Applicants may choose from over 150 major fields of study and the University Studies program, undeclared. Admission requirements vary among majors, and some academic units may require evidence of special skills. Students who apply to the Music Department, for example, will be asked to perform an audition. Acceptance to certain programs tends to be especially competitive because enrollment is limited. Students interested in changing their major prior to enrolling should request a change through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Some majors have enrollment limits and specific entry requirements. Once the first semester begins, students interested in changing majors should consult with the appropriate department or college to which they are seeking admission.

Admission to the University or to a specific major will not be guaranteed on the basis of specific class rank, test scores, or pattern of high-school subjects or performance. In evaluating student applications, the Admissions Office considers a broad range of criteria, including the depth and rigor of the college preparatory program (and trend in grades); grades earned in specific courses (especially those related to an applicant’s proposed field of study); overall grade-point index; standardized test scores; student essays; letters of recommendation; and self-appraisal. Grades of “B” and above are expected. Evidence of special talents and abilities, recommendations from counselors and teachers, leadership qualities, and recognition in extracurricular and community activities also can support an admission decision.

The University of Delaware reserves the right to refuse enrollment of any applicant. In addition, as it evaluates an application, the Admissions Committee always reserves the right to consider an applicant’s personal conduct and ethical behavior as a factor in its decision, and a decision to admit a student may be rescinded based on academic and/or behavioral issues that occur subsequent to an admission decision.

The University is eager to provide educational opportunities for adult learners who may wish to expand career opportunities or simply to take part in an exciting intellectual environment. In many cases, such students can complete degree requirements by taking courses in the Division of Professional and Continuing Studies. Qualified Delaware residents who are 60 years of age or older and who have been admitted to a degree program may attend undergraduate or graduate classes on a space-available basis without paying the application, course, registration, or other fees. Such students must cover the cost of books, laboratory supplies, and shop fees.

The Office of Undergraduate Admissions generally reviews applications for Fall and Spring admission. Review the important dates and deadlines below to ensure you complete your application on time.

First-Year Applicants

August 1 - Undergraduate Admissions applications become available

October 1 - Begin filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

November 1 - First-year domestic early action deadline

January 15 - First-year regular decision deadline, Recommended filing date for the FAFSA

May 1 - Admitted student deadline to submit required, non-refundable enrollment deposit

Transfer Applicants 

November 1 - Transfer Admissions Application deadline for spring admission and recommended deadline for filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

May 1 - Transfer Application deadline for fall admission and recommended deadline for filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

How to Apply

The University of Delaware has multiple options to choose when submitting applications.  Prospective first-year domestic, international, or transfer students can choose the method that is best for them on our website.  All applicants not utilizing a fee waiver option will be required to submit a $75 application fee. Click one of the links below for specific requirements related to first-year, transfer and international applicants. 

Applicants to the University must be graduates of accredited secondary schools or have equivalent credentials.  Specifically, for post-secondary, degree-seeking programs, we consider for admission students who

  1. have a high school diploma;
  2. have the recognized equivalent of a high school diploma; or
  3. are beyond the age of compulsory secondary school attendance in Delaware.

In general, we require:

  • As part of the application, first-year domestic students are required to submit their high school grades through the Self-Reported Academic Record (SRAR).  For more information, please review our website.
  • If admitted and enrolling, first-year domestic students are required to submit final secondary school transcripts.  Final transcripts show all grades for all courses and display a completion or graduation date.  Anticipated completion or graduation dates do not meet this requirement. 
  1. All students applying to UD may choose whether or not to submit their SAT or ACT scores as a part of their application.  For more information:  https://www.udel.edu/apply/undergraduate-admissions/requirements/#test-optional
  2. We expect a strong high-school record with a wide range of courses, including the following course work taken in the 9th-12th grades. While minimum units are specified below, most of our admitted students take more than the minimum. The academic profiles of the most competitive applicants well exceed the minimum requirements.
    • Four years of college preparatory English
    • Three years of college preparatory mathematics. (Four years is recommended. For students in business and economics, engineering, mathematics, physics, computer science, nutritional sciences, and food science, four years of mathematics, including trigonometry, precalculus, or calculus, are required.)
    • Three years of science, including two years of a laboratory science. (For study in the sciences or in related fields such as nursing, nutritional sciences, food science, or engineering, four years of science, including three years of a lab and a physics course, are strongly recommended.)
    • Four years of social sciences, which must include two years of history, one of which should be world history.
    • Two years of study in foreign language. (Four years of study in the same foreign language is strongly recommended. Foreign language courses taken before the ninth grade do not count.)
    • Two years of academic electives in fields such as English, mathematics, foreign languages, history, and social sciences or science. Academic electives do not include, for example, sports activities or driver education. The University urges high school students to take as many mathematics and English courses as possible, with special attention to the selection of senior-year courses.
  3. Provide a recommendation from your school counselor. 
  4. Complete the required essay as part of your application.


Procedures to evaluate the validity of a student’s high school completion if the University has reason to believe that the high school credential is not valid or was not obtained from an entity that provides secondary school education:

Should the Office of Undergraduate Admissions have reason to believe that any part of a student’s submitted admissions materials including but not limited to: the application, essay, high school completion credentials, or standardized test scores, are forgeries, contain falsified information, or are otherwise invalid, we reserve the right to take steps to verify and validate the submission with the appropriate source or authority governing authenticity of the information in question.  Specifically, for high school completion credentials, we may contact the institution to verify receipt of diploma and/or any part of the official final high school transcript.  We may also contact the appropriate accrediting authority to verify the institution’s ability to provide secondary school education   For test scores, we may contact the testing authority to verify test completion, score, date of administration, or any other part of the submitted test record.


If any part of the submitted admissions material is invalidated as a result of such investigation, the University reserves the right to refuse or revoke admission and cancel any preparation associated with the student’s enrollment, including housing arrangements and student financial aid.  As appropriate, additional actions may be taken upon referral to the University Office of General Counsel.


Transfer Application Information

Applicants must submit transcripts from all previously attended colleges. An official, final high school transcript and official standardized test scores are required for applicants who have completed fewer than 30 transferable college credits(*) at the time of the admissions evaluation. Applicants who have received credits for Advanced Placement (AP) or International Baccalaureate (IB) should submit official test scores. Applicants who wish to be evaluated for admissions without submitting their high school transcript and standardized test scores should apply only after completing at least 30 transferable college credits.  

To be considered for admission, transfer students must be in good academic and discipline standing and able to return to their current or most recently attended institution. The transfer applicant’s total academic credentials are considered, including previously achieved grade-point index in all completed courses, the quality of coursework, the type of institution(s) attended, trend in grades, performance in specific courses relating to the proposed field of study, and statement of interest in attending the University of Delaware. Criteria for acceptance varies by major. Please review the minimum Requirements by Major and other relevant information on the Transfer requirements website.    

Transfers students are eligible to apply to the University Honors Program if they have completed 17 or fewer college credits at the time of enrollment. An official high school transcript and standardized test scores must also be submitted for consideration. Limited opportunities within the University Honors Program may be available for high-ability applicants with no more than 30 credits; however, official high school transcript and standardized test scores must also be submitted for consideration. 

International Application Information

International students attending the University of Delaware represent over 100 countries. The Office for International Students and Scholars assists these individuals in adapting to their new environment and to the American educational system. (Please see section on “Resources for Students .”) English tutoring, orientation seminars, “homes away from home,” educational field trips, and participation in community activities are included in the program for international students.

International applicants should review the international admissions requirements before completing the Common Application for admission to the University of Delaware. 

We require all applicants whose first language is not English to adequately demonstrate English competency as a part of the application process. Students may demonstrate competency by submitting scores from IELTS (International English Language Testing System) or TOEFL. The University of Delaware requires an overall band score of a 6.5 or higher on the IELTS and a 90 on the TOEFL iBT. Applicants to the Nursing major must have a minimum TOEFL score of 100 iBT. 

The TOEFL code for Delaware is 5811.

Please contact the test center directly where you took the IELTS test and request that your official test scores be sent to the address below. We do not accept unofficial Test Report Forms from students. An institutional code is NOT required for the IELTS.

Submit to:

University of Delaware
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
210 South College Avenue
Newark, DE 19716

International students who need to improve their English skills but meet the University’s academic requirements may be admitted through Academic Transition. In this program you will improve your academic skills, be conditionally admitted to UD without a TOEFL/IELTS score, earn 24 University credits while studying academic English, and develop the academic, leadership and social skills needed for university success. 

Under federal law, the University is permitted to enroll non-immigrant foreign students.

Earning College Credits Prior to Enrollment

The University recognizes competencies attained through its courses, courses completed in secondary school, as well as through military experience. Students may earn Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), and College Level Examination Program (CLEP) test credit by sending their official score report(s) to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. For more information regarding possible test credit, please refer to the Registrar’s Office test credit website.

Students who have credit for military courses/occupations should refer to the Registrar’s Office military credit website. Additionally, credit based on examination results may be offered for some curricular areas. See the Earn Credit by Examination section for more information. Students who undertake a course experience via high school/college programs cannot receive both transfer and test credit for the same coursework. In those cases, UD recognizes the college transfer work and does not award the test credit.

Enter Delaware At The Time That’s Right For You

Admission or readmission to the University is granted for a specific semester, fall or spring. The admission status will be revoked if a student does not enroll in classes for the admitted term. All offers of admission or readmission are contingent upon maintaining a satisfactory academic performance and a positive personal record. The University may cancel the acceptance of any student who fails to successfully complete all coursework in progress. Students may request deferred admission by writing to the Admissions Office. The student’s credentials are reevaluated in such cases, and the request may be granted, depending on the availability of space. In no circumstance will the Admissions Office return applications and supporting materials once they are submitted for consideration.

Academic Renewal May Allow You To Start Over

When a student leaves the University without earning a degree, the student may apply for readmission to the University under the Academic Renewal policy. Students returning to UD after a separation of at least 5 calendar years are eligible for academic renewal if they earn a “C” or better in each course for 12 credit hours after their return. The student’s GPA will be calculated from this point on, excluding grades from previously completed coursework.

The following regulations govern this option:

  1. Students must consult with the Assistant Dean of the college in which the student plans to major to select and receive written approval for the specific 12 credits of course work that will be taken to qualify for academic renewal in advance of registering for those courses.
  2. The request for academic renewal will be processed after successfully completing the approved 12 credit hours of course work. Failure to complete any of the courses with a grade of C or better makes the student ineligible for academic renewal.
  3. All courses and grades will remain on the student’s transcript and will be identified.
  4. Credits completed prior to readmission with a grade of “C-” or better may be counted toward the degree.
  5. A minimum of thirty additional credits applicable toward the degree must be earned following the Academic Renewal. These thirty credits may include the 12 credits required under #2 above.
  6. Academic renewal can be granted only once during the student’s enrollment at the University.
  7. Students who have been granted academic renewal are not eligible for a degree with Latin Honors.

New Student Orientation

New Student Orientation (NSO) is a program through which newly admitted UD students familiarize themselves with the University of Delaware campus and community and learn what is expected of them as Blue Hens. Learn more about NSO under Student Life, Equity, Diversity & Inclusion, Campus Activities, and Dining .

Earn An Associate Degree En Route To The BA Or BS

Delaware residents who greaduate from a Delaware high school may choose or be placed in the University of Delaware Associate in Arts Program  (AAP), a two-year curriculum that promotes successful completion of the Associate in Arts degree. An associate degree can also be a valuable intermediate goal, guaranteeing eligibility to transition into a UD bachelor’s degree program in the junior year. A minimum of 60 credits is required for the Associate in Arts degree.

At the Associate in Arts Program, students receive additional support and the benefit of small classes, individualized attention, and comprehensive academic advisement. Students begin their University of Delaware career at one of the Associate in Arts campuses in Dover, Georgetown, or Wilmington, then transition to the Newark campus upon completion of the A.A. degree. Students are taught the same courses available at the Newark campus, by UD faculty members.

As a non-residential program, tuition for the Associate in Arts Program is reduced and students may also qualify for the State of Delaware SEED Scholarship Program. The lower tuition and the eligibility for a SEED Scholarship apply only to UD students who enroll in the Associate in Arts Program in Dover, Georgetown, or Wilmington. Therefore, students who take advantage of the lower tuition or a SEED Scholarship should realize that they must be willing to spend two full years in the program and complete the associate degree before being permitted to enroll on the Newark campus.

AAP students carry a UD ID card and have many of the same privileges as students at the main Newark campus, including:

  • admission to athletic events 

  • use of the Morris Library and UD fitness center

  • the opportunity to participate in activities like Marching Band, ROTC, and hundreds of student organizations

AAP promotes academic success by offering:

  • small class sizes 

  • close faculty contact 

  • substantially reduced tuition-perhaps even free, if a student qualifies for the State of Delaware SEED Scholarship

  • the opportunity to take classes in Newark during winter and summer sessions and participate in study abroad, alternative spring break, internships, and other programs offered on the Newark campus


The University of Delaware and Beebe Healthcare’s Margaret H. Rollins School of Nursing in Lewes, Del., partnered in 2017 on a program designed to provide a pathway for nursing students in Sussex County. Students accepted into this program enroll in both the Margaret H. Rollins School of Nursing and the UD Associate in Arts Program at the AAP’s Georgetown campus, eventually earning both a nursing diploma and an Associate in Arts degree. After completing the diploma program and passing the NCLEX-RN licensure examination, a dual-enrollment program graduate can work as a registered nurse while going on to earn a UD Bachelor of Science degree in nursing. 

Students should also consult the Associate in Arts Program website here.