Apr 20, 2024  
2020-2021 Undergraduate Catalog 
2020-2021 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Academic Standing

Students are expected to maintain an overall cumulative grade point average of C (2.00 GPA) to be in good academic standing, and full-time students must enroll in at least 12 credits per semester. Students whose cumulative GPA falls below 2.0 accumulate quality-point deficits and will be placed on academic probation or will be subject to academic dismissal, depending on the number of quality-point deficits. Deficit points, probation and dismissal are described below.

Quality Point Deficit

A quality point deficit system is used to determine academic standing; a deficit begins to accumulate when a student’s cumulative grade point average falls below 2.0. The quality point deficit is determined by subtracting the cumulative number of quality points from twice the cumulative number of quality hours. Quality hours are calculated only for courses receiving grades of A, B, C, D (plus or minus), F, X and Z; courses with Passing grades, Listener, Incomplete, Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory, or Withdrawal, as well as noncredit and remedial courses, are not included in the quality hours total.

The size of the quality point deficit is related to the number of credits you have earned. In brief, a single grade of F has more impact on a freshman than on a senior, because the good grades that a senior had previously earned will buffer the impact of a single F.

Once your cumulative grade point average falls below 2.0, every additional grade below a C will contribute to your quality point deficit. On the other hand, grades above a C will erase deficit points and improve your GPA.

Academic Probation

Students whose cumulative GPA is below 2.0 will be placed on Academic Probation, as long as their quality point deficit is between 0.01 and 12.99. Students on Academic Probation may be enrolled in a maximum of 14 credits. Academic probation will be lifted as soon as the cumulative GPA is at least 2.00 and all deficit points are eliminated. Students must earn at least a 2.00 cumulative GPA in order to qualify for graduation; degrees cannot be awarded to students on Academic Probation.

Academic Dismissal

Twice a year, in January and June, the Committee on Undergraduate Records and Certification (“CURC”) reviews the records of matriculated students who have deficient cumulative grade point averages. The committee will dismiss students from matriculated status if they have earned 13.00 or more deficit points. Students may reach dismissal status in one semester or over the course of multiple semesters, depending on their academic performance during their time at UD, even if they have not previously been on academic probation.

Matriculated means that the student had been formally admitted to the University as a degree-seeking student; dismissal means that the student is no longer considered a degree-seeking candidate and is not eligible to enroll in full-time study.

Students who are facing dismissal review by CURC, will be notified of this by the Office of the University Registrar and will be given an opportunity to present an appeal through their Academic Assistant Dean. Students with serious extenuating circumstances, such as a documented serious illness or documented personal problems, may present an appeal through their Assistant Dean to CURC for potential reinstatement on special probation. Such documentation must be provided in English. CURC approves such requests on a case-by-case basis. For more information, see “Special Probation” section below and www.udel.edu/provost/curc.html.

Students who have been dismissed from matriculated status by CURC, may take up to seven credits of courses each term through the Division of Professional and Continuing Studies at UD. However, dismissed students who are taking courses through Professional and Continuing Studies are not formally enrolled in any major or degree program and are not eligible to receive a degree. The student’s classification will be changed to CEND (Continuing Education Non-Degree) and eligibility for most forms of financial aid may be lost, since financial aid usually requires full-time status and matriculation. In addition, dismissed students face restrictions for on-campus housing and provision of campus services. More information is available from the UD ACCESS Center (http://www.pcs.udel.edu/access/), which provides advisement services to dismissed students who enter CEND status.

In order to earn a degree, dismissed students must be approved for readmission (see “Procedure for Undergraduate Readmission” below).

Special Probation

Students who are facing dismissal because they have more than 13 or more quality point deficits, but who have documented extenuating circumstances, may request an exception to University policy and ask the Committee on Undergraduate Records and Certification (CURC) that they be retained on Special Probation. Special Probation is granted only when there are circumstances beyond a student’s control, and when evidence suggests that the student will be able to meet academic standards if given an additional opportunity. A student must submit a written petition for Special Probation to CURC through their college’s Assistant Dean, and the petition must be accompanied by appropriate documentation of the extenuating circumstances.

A student on Special Probation may remain enrolled full-time at the University, but the student’s record will be reviewed at the end of each successive term with the expectation that the quality point deficit will decrease because better grades have been earned. If the quality point deficit increases, or if it fails to decrease, the student will be dismissed. The term-by-term review of the quality point deficit will continue as long as the student remains on Special Probation. Special Probation status will be lifted when the student decreases the quality point deficit to less than 13.00: the student will be moved to regular Academic Probation if the deficit points are between 0.01 to 12.99, and will be in good academic standing when all deficit points have been removed.

Special consideration is given to first-semester students (freshmen and transfers) who are facing dismissal. Students who finish their first semester at UD with 13 or more deficits may request to be placed on Freshman Special Probation through the second semester instead of being dismissed. Placement on Freshman Special Probation is subject to approval by an Assistant Dean and by CURC and will be dependent on evidence of ability to succeed at UD. Registration for courses while on Freshman Special Probation will be supervised by the student’s Assistant Dean.

Committee On Undergraduate Records And Certification (CURC)

The University’s policies regarding academic standing, academic probation, and academic dismissal are carried out by the Committee on Undergraduate Records and Certification (CURC), made up of faculty members and University administrators. Specifically, CURC reviews the records of matriculated students after each fall and spring semester, and considers petitions regarding dismissal, probation, and other matters. Students submit their petitions through their Assistant Dean’s office, and do not meet with the Committee in person. Petitions must be in writing and signed by the student, and must be submitted prior to graduation, since the student’s record is finalized when the degree is posted.