May 23, 2018
College Breadth Requirements:
The College Breadth requirements are in addition to the University Breadth requirement. Up to three credits from each of the University Breadth Requirement categories may be used to simultaneously satisfy these College of Arts and Sciences Breadth Requirements. Minimum grade C- required for courses used to satisfy College Breadth.
*If the grade earned is sufficient, a course may be applied toward more than one requirement (e.g., breadth and major requirements), but the credits are counted only once toward the total credits for graduation. If all but one course in a group has been taken in one department or program, a course cross-listed with that program will not satisfy the distribution requirement.
- Completion of the intermediate-level course (107,112, or 202) in an ancient or modern language with minimum grades of D-.
- The number of credits (0-12) needed and initial placement will depend on the number of years of high school study of foreign language.
- Students with four or more years of high school work in a single foreign language, or who have gained proficiency in a foreign language by other means, may attempt to fulfill the requirement in that language by taking an exemption examination through the Languages, Literatures and Cultures Department.
The math requirement must be completed by the time a student has earned 60 credits. Students who transfer into the College of Arts and Sciences with 45 credits or more must complete this requirement within two semesters.
Complete one of the following four options (minimum grade D-):
One of the following:
- Successful performance on a proficiency test in mathematics administered by the Department of Mathematical Sciences (0 credits awarded).
Second Writing Requirement:
A Second Writing Requirement approved by the College of Arts and Sciences. This course must be taken after completion of 60 credit hours, completed with a minimum grade of C-, and the section enrolled must be designated as satisfying the requirement in the academic term completed.
French, German, or Spanish/Political Science majors must complete all designated courses and any prerequisite courses (e.g., for admission to the 200-level language courses) with a minimum grade of C-. 24 credits in POSC minimum; 45 credits maximum.
- Two GRM 2xx, 3xx, and/or 4xx courses (prior to semester abroad) (six credits)
- Four GRMN 3xx and/or 4xx courses (12 credits)
- GRMN 4xx (literature) course (Newark campus only) (three credits)
The following courses taken abroad count toward the German/Political Science major:
After required courses are completed, sufficient elective credits must be taken to meet the minimum credit requirement for the degree.
Credits to Total a Minimum of 124
Last Revised 2015-2016 Academic Year