Mar 22, 2018
2017-2018 Undergraduate Catalog
Biological Sciences - Pharmaceutical Sciences Concentration (BS)
Please refer to the Four Year Plan for departmental recommended path towards graduation.
Second Writing Requirement:
A Second Writing Requirement approved by the College of Arts and Sciences. This course must be taken after completion of 60 credit hours, completed with a minimum grade of C-, and the section enrolled must be designated as satisfying the requirement in the academic term completed.
- Completion of the intermediate-level course (107,112, or 202) in an ancient or modern language with minimum grades of D-.
- The number of credits (0-12) needed and initial placement will depend on the number of years of high school study of foreign language.
- Students with four or more years of high school work in a single foreign language, or who have gained proficiency in a foreign language by other means, may attempt to fulfill the requirement in that language by taking an exemption examination through the Languages, Literatures and Cultures Department.
College of Arts and Sciences Breadth Requirements:
The College Breadth Requirements are taken in addition to the University Breadth Requirement. Up to three credits from each of the University Breadth Requirement categories may be used to simultaneously satisfy these College of Arts and Sciences Breadth Requirements. College Breadth courses must be completed with a minimum grade of C-.
A total of 21 credits from Groups A, B, and C is required with a minimum of six credits in each group. The six credits from each group could be from the same area.
A faculty member advises students in the Program. Requirements for admission are:
- Successful completion of all Thomas Jefferson University prerequisites.
- A minimum grade point average of 2.7. However, to be competitive, a student must obtain a grade point average of approximately 3.3 in the sciences, as determined by Thomas Jefferson University.
- Completion of prerequisite courses with at least a C in each course.
- Acceptable PCAT scores (scores in the 70th percentile or higher are highly desirable).
- Completion of formal application (PharmCAS) to Thomas Jefferson for admission into the PharmD program.
- Acceptable performance on an interview administered by Thomas Jefferson University’s admission committee.
I. Prerequisite Requirements to the Pharmaceutical Sciences concentration:
Biological Sciences courses:
Physical, Chemical, and Mathematical Science requirements:
Additional requirements for admission from outside the sciences:
- ENGL 110 - Seminar in Composition (3cr.) (University requirement see above)
- Three courses in languages, literature, philosophy, religion, arts*
- Three courses in sociology, psychology, anthropology, political science*
*These courses fulfill the Thomas Jefferson University Social Sciences and Humanities required electives. Courses should be carefully selected from the above University and College requirements (University Breadth, Arts & Sciences Breadth for the BS degree, the Multicultural Course Requirement, and the Arts & Sciences Second Writing Requirement) to satisfy these TJU prerequisites for admission. Courses may fulfill multiple requirements simultaneously if selected carefully.
II. Additional courses at Thomas Jefferson University*:
- Molecular and Cell Biology
- Pathophysiology I and II
- Pharmacology I and II**
- Clinical Pharmacokinetics**
- Medicinal Chemistry
*These courses transfer as BISC credits and can be applied towards the 43 required credits in the major for the BS degree in Biological Sciences with a concentration in Pharmaceutical Sciences. Taking more UD Biological Sciences courses will reduce the number of TJU courses needed to fulfill the Biological Sciences 43 credit requirement.
** offered Year 2 at TJU
After required courses are completed, sufficient elective credits must be taken to meet the minimum credit requirement for the degree.
Credits to Total a Minimum of 124
Last Revised 2017-2018 Academic Year